Monday, October 18, 2010

Color Journal #6













In line with some of the topics I discussed in my study into pre-Newtonian systems for ordering color, I wanted to analyze how bright colors could be in centuries past. To do this, I dug through photos I've taken (with a few from friends) at reenactments and living history events over the past year or two. All but one of the images are from close-ups of clothing based on/informed by extant garments, contemporary artwork, written sources, and more, and appeal to an aesthetic similar to what we are used to. Prominent use of primary colors butted up against each other in 18th century British uniforms and a blue coat with orange cuffs and collar might signal a late 17th century Bears fan. I'm fascinated by color and the way it has been appreciated and used throughout time. Why would anyone dress in drab colors when so many beautiful ones were and are available?

No comments:

Post a Comment